Academics and Funding

Academic Degree Programs

The University of Michigan Center for Occupational Health and Safety Engineering (UM COHSE) offers graduate-level academic degree programs in:

Our Students

The Center for Occupational Health and Safety Engineering supports student trainees in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Epidemiology, Occupational Health Nursing, and Occupational Safety Engineering & Ergonomics. Our trainees are drawn from a variety of academic programs from the School of Public Health, the School of Nursing, and the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan. Please click on the following links to learn more about our current trainees and our alumni.

Current Students

Student and Alumni Testimonials

Student Recognitions


NIOSH provides funding to support research training and financial aid for U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents.

Student Funding – partial to full tuition support and may also include a modest stipend. All students who are admitted to a graduate degree program in Industrial Hygiene (IH), Occupational Epidemiology (OE), Occupational Health Nursing (OHN), and Occupational Safety Engineering and Ergonomics (OSE) are automatically considered for funding. No additional application is necessary. For questions about student funding, please contact the program director.

Collaborative Research Training (CRT) – funding available for graduate students at the University of Michigan in Chemistry, Engineering or other departments whose research is relevant to NORA-related areas.

Pilot Project Research Training  – funding for both UM and non-UM researchers. PPRT provides short-term seed funds to support innovative pilot research projects in the priority areas defined in the National Occupational Research Agenda (NORA). Funds are also provided for pilot research projects that address special OH&S needs in HHS Region V, the manufacturing heartland of the United States.