Jointly provided by:
The American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN)
This course is designed to update the occupational health nurse regarding the assessment, intervention and evaluation of common problems encountered in the work setting. Topics will include chest pain, respiratory ailments, head injuries, penetration/foreign body injuries, musculoskeletal strains and sprains, skin lacerations, mental health, thermal injuries, and infectious disease exposure. The program will also include introductory ergonomics principles so the occupational health nurse can identify the work-related risk factors of musculoskeletal disorders and recommend basic workplace changes.
- Virtual hybrid course
- Asynchronous lectures (available on-demand so attendees can view presentations anytime)
- Synchronous “Discussion with the Instructor” sessions via Zoom
- Discussion sessions will be recorded
Additional reading material, case studies and review questions will be provided
- The digital notes and presentations will be hosted using an online course platform, Canvas. Registrants will be able to download the notes and view the video presentations.
- Recorded lectures and notes will be available until August 31, 2023
This program is intended for occupational health nurses or other clinicians who provide direct health care services for workers. This program should be particularly valuable for service providers within worksite medical clinics and other medical facilities that provide occupational medicine services.
Course Schedule and General Information
Date: May 10-August 31, 2023
Registration Fee: $500.00 registration; $400.00 Early-bird registration (until April 15, 2023)
Registration fee includes course materials and access to video lectures. A certificate of completion will be awarded when requirements are met.
Advanced registration is required and will be accepted on a “first come-first served” basis. Registration confirmation will be provided via email after your registration has been processed. If you do not receive confirmation within one week of registration, please email: email@example.com or call 734-763-2243.
Summary of Topics:
- Ergonomics. Identification and control of workplace risk factors associated with the development of musculoskeletal disorders will be described.
- Common Musculoskeletal Injuries. Small and large joint musculoskeletal injuries commonly found in occupational health settings will be discussed.
- Head Injuries. Current assessment, treatment and evaluation guidelines for brain contusion and concussion will be covered.
- Dermatological Concerns: Lacerations, Thermal and Chemical Injuries. Current assessment, treatment and evaluation guidelines for the management of selected dermatological traumas will be discussed.
- Chest Pain: Sorting Through the Diagnostic Picture. Comparing and contrasting emergent and non-emergent chest discomfort in the occupational health setting will be discussed. Subsequent management guidelines will be reviewed.
- Respiratory Ailments. Current management practices and medical guidelines in selected common occupational health respiratory conditions will be covered.
- Infectious Disease Exposure. National guidelines and protocols addressed related to common infectious disease concerns will be reviewed.
- Penetration Injuries. Emergent care in penetration injuries occurring in occupational health settings will be discussed.
- Wellness Programing. Identify personal health risk factors that impact workplace health.
- Addressing Mental Health. Depression and anxiety are two common mental health concerns in the workplace. Screening, assessment, intervention, referral and follow-up of these illnesses will be discussed.
Discussion with the Instructor Schedule*:
Week 1: June 1, 2023
Week 2: June 8, 2023
Week 3: June 15, 2023
All discussion sessions will be held from 6-7:00PM EST.
*Discussion Session dates are subject to change.
Discussion with the Instructor includes:
- Question and Answer session
- Case studies
- Supplementary material
Sherry M. Bumpus, PhD, FNP-BC. Associate Professor, Michigan State University College of Nursing
Sheryl Ulin, PhD, CPE. Director of Continuing Education, University of Michigan Center for Occupational Health & Safety Engineering
The American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, Inc. (AAOHN) is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
The American Association of Occupational Health Nurses, Inc. is additionally approved as a CNE provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing (#CEP9283).
This course was approved for 17 CNE credits.
To receive a Certificate of Completion for this course, attendees must attest to completing all of the presentations, discussion sessions, reading materials and assignments.
Regular registration: $500
Early-bird registration: $400 until April 15, 2023
Written cancellation notification must be received no later than April 25, 2023 in order to qualify for a refund, less $75.00 administrative fee. Substitute attendees are welcome. In the unlikely event that this program must be cancelled, the entire submitted registration fee will be refunded without further liability on the part of the organizers.
Comments from Previous Attendees
- “This was a great class for myself as I am fairly new to occupational nursing a lot of great advice, and procedures to utilize.”
- “I really learned a lot as a new occupational health RN.”
- “It is a great refresher to help me enhance my practice. Been a nurse a long time and it is good to return to the basics to do a better job for my employees.”
- “Great review. Will definitely advise my co-workers to participate in your classes.”
- “Feel much more confident in my job, caring for employees!”
- “Great information/refresher for daily occupational medicine use.”
- “Gave me much encouragement and ideas to improve our clinic.”
- “I wish I had taken this sooner.”
- “Excellent, Objectives are well met, Absolutely another excellent training!”
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-763-2243.