Updates on COHSE Events
Read about the University of Michigan’s COVID-19 Response: Here
The core goal of COHSE is to protect vulnerable workers and prevent occupational injury and illness. By training high-quality practitioners and researchers, COHSE helps to meet critical shortfalls in health and safety services in most small and many larger workplaces, and thereby reduces the incidence and severity of occupational injury and illness. During the COVID-19 crisis, many workers are especially vulnerable. We have gathered some resources and information to help protect workers.
COHSE Continuing Education events are being handled on a case-by-case basis. Please check our CE page for details on courses being cancelled or postponed. Thank you for understanding and stay healthy.
Learn about the World’s, United States’, and Michigan’s responses to mediate the spread of COVID-19.
Interactive COVID-19 Tools
- MI Safe Start Map – Visualize the spread of COVID-19, public health capacity, and risk levels by county in the state of Michigan. This data visualization tool was developed by faculty at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.
- 19 and Me: COVID-19 Risk Score Calculator – This risk score calculator developed by Mathematica calculates your risk of infection and death based on geography, personal characteristics, hygiene habits, and social interactions.
- Coronavirus Mapping in Michigan – This interactive map was created by UM SPH researchers.
Everyone age 12 and over is eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in the state of Michigan. Find more information below to register for an upcoming appointment and other resources on getting vaccinated.
- Campus Maize and Blueprint Vaccine Page – Find out how to register for the vaccine clinics at U-M, vaccination factsheets and FAQ’s.
- Vaccine Finder– Resources on finding vaccines outside of U-M, vaccine scheduling process, and other FAQ’s on finding vaccines.
- Vaccine information and Updates – Find guidance on the J&J pause, daily vaccination tracker, and other updates.
- Report your Vaccination – The university is urging students on all of its campuses to submit their COVID-19 vaccination information. Fully vaccinated students who do so will be exempt from mandatory testing requirements for the spring and summer terms.
Resources for the Protection of Workers
The American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) launched a website with guidelines on safely returning to work.
NIOSH recently released a new webpage with resources for protecting workers in relation to COVID-19. The webpage includes factsheets for airport workers, small business owners, and transportation workers. Also included is information on PPE for workers and the public.
An employer guide released by the Total Worker Health centers contains numerous resources for worker well-being, remote work hazards, essential worker hazards, and return-to-work guidelines.
The American Psychiatric Association Foundation released this guidance for employee mental health and well-being during COVID-19 and beyond.
This New York Times editorial discusses OSHA’s lack of involvement in the pandemic.
NIOSH discusses how collecting and analyzing covid-19 case job information can make a difference in public health.
Johns Hopkins ERC released a guide on the effectiveness of masks and best practices for making and using them.
Employee Health and Well-Being
- Working Remotely During COVID-19: Your Mental Health and Well-being – This resource by the American Psychiatric Association Foundation provides tips for your well-being while working from home.
- MI Symptoms Web Application (MDHHS) – This is a cost-free way for employers to screen employee symptoms when returning to work
- Worker Safety and Support (CDC) – This site includes links to multiple industry-specific guidelines and resources.
- Community Mitigation to Slow the Spread of COVID-19 (CDC)
- Mental Health Resources (Michigan Medicine Department of Psychiatry) – This guide includes options to search for resources by mental health condition and age.
- Addiction and Recovery Resources (Michigan Medicine Department of Psychiatry)
- “Thrive with Your Family” Webcast (Michigan Medicine)
- Downloadable COVID-19 Coloring Book
- When to Discontinue Self-Isolation After Infection with COVID-19 (CDC)
COVID-19 Publications by COHSE Faculty
- “Essential” but Expendable: Farmworkers During the COVID-19 Pandemic—The Michigan Farmworker Project Handal, A, O’Neill, M, Iglesias-Rios, L, Valentín-Cortés, M.
- Are women leaders significantly better at controlling the contagion? Mukherjee, B, et al.
- Respiratory Protection Considerations for Healthcare Workers During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Health Security. Friese CR, et al.
- Health and Safety Considerations for Hotel Cleaners During COVID-19. Occupational Medicine. Rosemberg, MA.
- Development of a Novel Survey to Measure the Impact of COVID-19 on Persons with Disabilities. D’Souza, C & Ulin, SS, et al.
The UM School of Public Health (SPH) just released a website that highlights all covid-19-related studies, projects, and tools developed by SPH researchers. Also be sure to check out their Coronavirus news section for frequent updates.